Update: validation, learning objects and roleplay

Just realised it is a couple of months since our last update – primarily a result of lots of activity leading to less reporting! So what have we been up to? We are essentially preparing for our first cohort – due to start at the beginning of March. Having decided to adopt a module-based approach to giving students access to personalised curriculum development we have had a lot to do: module validation (initially within an existing scheme called Leading Edge but we are now looking at a cross institutional validation), module design and content, as well as recruiting our first cohort and planning and designing our evaluation process. So a lot going on!

Our plan is to produce as much of our content as possible as reusable learning objects, making them available via our open educational resource repository. This is proving more tricky than we anticipated. We started using Glomaker as a production tool which is built around learning design patterns. We really like this model which embeds pedagogy into the design. However we found the components it currently offers too restrictive: without a lot of additional Flash development we were going to have difficulties doing what we wanted to do. So we moved over to CourseLab, which we are now trialling. However we quickly hit a snag with that too – unfortunately the scorm packages it produces do not display correctly within our VLE in any browser other than IE: not very open! So we are now initially preparing learning resources using our VLE’s learning modules, which will be converted to standalone objects for the repository where appropriate.

In the process of producing content, we have produced a series of role play videos to try to demonstrate the differences as we see them between tutoring, mentoring and coaching. These are in the process of being built into a learning object on the subject but are included here as many have asked for an explanation of this. Obviously these are somewhat stylised and caricatured to make the point but hopefully the differences, as we see them, will be clear! All three conversations tackle the same topic: giving presentations.

The Tutoring conversation: 

The Mentoring conversation: 

The Coaching conversation: 


Creating a poster for PC3 events

On return from an enjoyable couple of weeks break, the first job is to finish the Poster I started for various forth coming PC3 events. The aim is to capture the developments we have made since the our initial conception of the PC3 framework. One the primary moves forward has been in investigating and choosing the technology to underpin the process. These are reflected in the changes to the over view framework (diagram at the top of poster). The next step in this process is work out the best way to integrate or present all this individual systems to students as a coherent set o tools. At the moment XStream looks to be the main entry point. I have a workshop next week on Campus Pack Fusion so hopeful should be able to start that development soon.

Introduction to PC3 project and the PLC module structure

Introduction to PC3 project and the PLC module structure

The second main development has been the creation of the *PLC module* discussed earlier. I’ve tried to capture the main elements of the module and show clear links between the process and the technology framework. There is a lot to cover over the next few months, including gathering as many LOs in the topic areas, improving access to course specifications and creating the competency maps within PebblePad.