We have spent the last couple of months considering what applications and technologies to use for the PC3 framework. All the trips in to ePortfolio conferences (see previous posts) and such have been focused on finding the right combination. The webinar a week last Friday with Campus Pack Fusion was the last up for consideration. In the last couple of days I have been putting all this information together, mapping all these resource and their potential to the PC3 framework which resulted in this:
The Studeo, personal learning space, was originally perceived as some type of ePortfolio, hence the conferences. At Wolverhampton we were first introduced to the possibility of using a blog, such as WordPress, to support this personal reflective space. There are several issues with this such as external or internal hosting, making it public or private, and limitations on space if video blogging is used frequently. Campus Pack Fusion sort of answered some of these problems. The pack contains both a blog and a private journal module that can be embedded in X-Stream or hosted separately.
However the team discussions keep coming back to three essential elements of the Studeo that blogs (in the main) just don’t support, but portfolios do. As follows:
- Each post or reflection created by a learner should be able to be linked as evidence to a set of competencies (either directly or via a referencing system).
- The learner should be using one application for reflection, and be able to choose who they wish to share each post with. Rather than having a public and a private blog.
- At the assessment or any other critical stage learners should be able to select a collection of suitable reflections and present them however they choose.
The remaining parts of the framework have coursed a lot less problems or already exist. At the moment its looking like we will be using:
- Home page – X-Stream with power or hyperlinks to external apps
- Studeo – PebblePad,
- Health Check – PebblePad
- Learning Bank – IntraLibrary & X-Stream
- Commons – Ning
- Coaching Lab resources – Face-2-face, telephone, email & Elluminate for communications.
This still may change as development goes on 🙂